Shopping Cart
(Your shopping cart is empty)

Shop Johnnie's Favorites


Best of Johnnie Chuoke, Volume XI

It’s only taken me six months to have a new book ready. So by the time you read this article, we will be prepared to pre-order. The book is entirely updated, with added cartoons of dad, and a reference to help you find answers to your questions. The book is a great stocking stuffer, gift for a new homeowner, or a solution to maintenance questions for your house. It’s a lifetime of resources from my dad plus the latest products from the past shows. It will be spiral bound and easy to read. Ready for your next project, check out “The Best of Johnnie Chuoke” volume 11 and have the answers at your fingertips.

Now to the email…..

Question: I have bought an older home at a great price. The only thing wrong is the sliding glass door is heavy and jumps when you try to open and close it. I don’t want to install a new door because the opening is not standard and besides being difficult to open and close it is just fine. So do you have any ideas on how to make this a better door?
Answer: I had the same thing happen to me at the garden home I bought. The door opening was a little smaller than any door opening I have ever seen. The door jumped and dragged and made using the door a big ordeal. So we cleaned the track (it was dirty) and sprayed a lubricant like no other. It’s called Tri- Flow. It’s very different than other lubricants because it doesn’t attract dirt and dust. It’s the dirt and dust that will keep the track from rolling smoothly. Tri- Flow is PTFE Teflon based and we like to call it liquid ball bearing. You can use it on mirror doors, sliding glass doors, drawer slides, hinges and anything else that is giving you problems. Now if the track is bent, you can install a new cap over the track. Just straighten out the old track with a pair of pliers and snap the new stainless steel track right on top. My lock was broken on my door, so I installed Sliding Door Latch by National.

I will be trying to sell my house, and as I was walking around the house I notice that I have some cracks in the mortar of the brick. In fact, some of the mortar is missing. I want to do as much around the house as I can (maximize the equity income) so is there some product that I can use to fix these cracks?
Answer: Yes, there is an easy product to use that comes in a caulking tube. It’s called More Flex, and it comes in 2 colors. A light colored concrete and a grey concrete color. The great part about More Flex is that it has a consistency of mortar. It’s flexible and is water cleanup. It is also great to use on stucco. The tip of the caulk can be cut to squeeze out a tiny amount, or you can cut it so that it will squeeze out a large amount at a time. So whether your crack is small or large – you can take care of it with the

Question: OK, I didn't listen to my wife and I got the wrong grout to go around the tub. I clean it and in a couple of days it is mildewed again. I am always cleaning. Well she has convinced me to remove the grout and ...USE THE GROUT THAT WAS IN THE my question can I remove the old grout. It's a silicone. And what grout do I use?
Answer: To remove the old grout...use the Contractors DeSolv It. Using a straight edged razor blade slice through the top, middle and bottom of the silicone. Then spray on Contractors DeSolv It and give it a few minutes to work. Using the razor blade scrape down on the silicone and start pulling it away from the tile. Then re-apply the DeSolv It and get off any existing residue. When it's all clean, apply Mildew Free Sealant. It won't mildew for 7 years. Just think about how much time you will save?